27 July 2016
An evening allegrezza
Join us for a drinks reception, music and history at the Royal College of Music for the AfL summer soirée
Set in the beautiful buildings designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and opened in 1894, we’re delighted that this year’s summer soirée is kindly hosted by the Royal College of Music.
RCM Librarian Peter Linnitt will talk about the treasures of the College’s collections. To accompany the customary AfL hospitality, music is again supplied by RCM student Fiona Gibbs & colleagues.
Join us for an evening of summer cheer and joy, discover how the iconic buildings, facilities & collections make RCM the envy of the world & how its history and archives contribute in inspiring students.
Royal College of Music (please meet in the main entrance)
Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BS
Tickets just £5 for AfL members; guests (booking from 11 July) £10.
Book online at tinyurl.com/AfLevents
Download the 2016 Summer Soiree information
1 September 2016
The Archives of the Salvation Army
Archivist, Steven Spencer introduces the archives of the Salvation Army for the AfL September seminar.
More details soon
16 September 2016
A many sided crystal; the many facets of physicist and electrical engineer Silvanus Phillips Thompson (1851-1916)
Co-hosted by Imperial College London, University of Leeds, Institution of Engineering & Technology, British Society for the History of Science, and Archives for London.
Marking the centenary of the death of scientist SP Thompson, this unique workshop will investigate his historical significance and directions for future research.
- Graeme Gooday (University of Leeds), “Silvanus Phillips Thompson: Polymath, Authority and Critic”
- Matt Stanley (New York University), “The Quaker Silvanus Thompson, Scientist and ‘Sincere Friend’
- Mat Paskins (University of Aberystwyth), “Silvanus Thompson’s Working Worlds”
- Steve Pumfrey (University of Lancaster), “Thompson on Gilbert’s De Magnete”
- Geoffrey Cantor (University of Leeds & UCL), “Thompson, Biographer”
- Stathis Arapostathis (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens), “Thompson’s Controversies over Patents”
- Anne Barrett (Imperial College, London) & Anne Locker (Institution of Engineering & Technology), “The Thompson Archives”
Full programme at https://silvanuspthompson.wordpress.com
Delegates £25; AfL members £10.
Refreshments and lunch included.
Venue: Westminster Quaker Meeting House,
52 St. Martin’s Lane, London WC2N 4EA
Download the flyer for A many sided crystal.
Book online via Eventbrite
23 September 2016
An introduction to online London genealogy for archivists
London Metropolitan Archives’s David Luck hosts an introductory workshop. More details soon.